Following the killing of George Floyd and the ensuing global protests, we at Pocklington School are issuing a statement that rejects racism in all forms, reflects on what we have done so far and looks to the future as to how we will do more.
As a school, and in support of the principles behind the Black Lives Matter movement, we recognise we have a role to play in sending a message that racism in all its forms can never be tolerated. Overt and covert racism exists and persists in society and we intend to play our part as best we can in changing this. To stand against racism means that all members of our community must be confident and bold enough to challenge racism and that we also continue to reflect on our own actions and behaviours.
· Do not tolerate racism
· Adopt and act on anti-racist policies that form part of our school rules
· Encourage all members of our community to discuss ways we can eradicate racism
· Promote listening, reasoned engagement, and positive action in response to injustice, while condemning aggression and violence in all its forms
· Are an Equal Opportunities employer and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment in our workplace
· Consider ways in which we can further educate our community so that its members are empowered to act against racism
· Engage further with those inside and beyond our community to understand their views and those of others on this topic
· Consider how we can amend our approach to further reflect our support for eradicating racial injustice
We ask all in our community to join us in challenging racism and holding ourselves and others to account. Our Values of Courage, Truth and Trust demand this.