Sports Scholars Programme
For entry into Year 9 and 12
- A bespoke Strength and Conditioning Support programme
- Performance feedback from matches and training via GPS units and monitoring
- A yearly kit voucher to support specialist kit or home Strength and Conditioning equipment
- Access to Leadership Academy seminars, including presentations by external speakers including Pocklington School alumni involved in professional sport
- Video analysis of their performance
- An annual review in the pupil’s school report to reflect on progress and plan for the future
- Priority access to the Schools’ triage system if they suffer an injury through the season. This will comprise a 15-minute assessment and guidance on any rehabilitation required
In addition to the above, Sports Scholars in Sixth Form will receive:
- A specialist sports mentor to offer advice, give guidance, review performance and set goals
- Access to the ‘Believe Perform’ platform, the world’s leading source of performance psychology, well-being and mental health content for the sport community
- A Sports Scholars tie and certificate
We work closely with local, regional and national sports bodies to ensure that our sports scholars receive consistent and complimentary support to help them achieve their full potential. Our sports staff have worked with these organisations for many years developing excellent links with them to support our most talented sporting students.
Scholars are expected to attend all training sessions for their sport as well as their strength and conditioning sessions, mentor meetings and any other support they are provided. They are expected to represent the school as much as is possible, although we will support them in gaining representative honour or playing high level sport around their school commitments.
Scholars are expected to achieve good academic standards and act as a role model.
Our new Sports Scholars Programme is a fantastic opportunity for young people and will enhance the already excellent provision Pocklington offers. Becoming a Pocklington Sports Scholar will offer opportunities and challenges, but also the responsibility to always set and maintain the highest standards. We welcome applications from young people who will draw great benefit from and contribute significantly to the life of the School.
David Byas, Director of Sport & former Yorkshire County Cricket Captain
How to apply:
The Sports Scholars Programme does not offer any financial award. Fee assistance up to 100% of tuition fees can be applied for and may be granted on the basis of the student's financial needs; preference is given to Sixth Form candidates who could not otherwise attend the School. Fee assistance is confidential and is strictly means tested. For further details click here.
Applications for the programme can be made in preparation for entry into Year 9 and Year 12. It is likely that Sports Scholars will already represent their school in at least two of the following sports:
Rugby, hockey, netball, tennis, cricket and athletics
Talent at other sports will also be considered e.g. equestrian, squash, skiing, swimming and golf.
Sixth Form Sports Scholars can specialise in just one sport.
Sports Scholars also should have external recognition of their talent e.g. playing for the county, involvement in a talent development pathway or identified as a ‘stand out’ player by the Head of Sport at their school.
Potential scholars will be asked to complete an application form which can be supported by references, letters of recommendation or video evidence of their performance level. If they are shortlisted, they will be invited to attend an assessment/taster day. This will comprise:
- Assessment by the Head of the sport(s) they are applying for and the Director of Sport for the current performance level
- Completion of a series of physical tests with the Head of Sporting Development and a biological maturation assessment to ensure a clear picture of an individual’s athletic potential
- Two interviews – one with the Headmaster and one with the Director of Sport and the Head(s) of the sports they are applying for.
After careful consideration, applicants will then be informed of the outcome of their application.
To register interest in applying for the Sports Scholars Programme please fill in the form on the right of this page.
Fee assistance can be applied for and may be granted on the basis of the student's financial needs. For Sixth Form applicants this could cover up to 100% of tuition fees. Fee assistance is confidential and is strictly means tested. For further details click here
Please click the link below for an overview of the school's excellent sporting facilities.