Healthy Eating at Pocklington School
The Pocklington School Catering Team take great pride in providing a first-rate service with fresh ingredients that are locally sourced and prepared from scratch wherever possible. They aim to provide a healthy, age appropriate, nutritional balanced meal for all our pupils. They cater for all special dietary needs and ensure there is a wide choice to suit all requirements.
Pocklington School Food Charter
As a School we have set a clear food charter and meal specification, to ensure we can provide the best food for our pupils:
- Our food is produced at school by our dedicated catering team
- A minimum of 80% of our dishes are made from fresh ingredients
- Locally sourced produce is used whenever possible
- We only use local fresh free-range eggs
- All our meat is UK reared, and we source all our beef from Yorkshire
- We only use MSC certified fish, an all our products are made with 100% fish fillet
- All our sauces and beans are branded products to ensure the highest quality
- Menus are rotated on a three-weekly basis to provide continuing variety as well as Pocklington favourites
- Our chefs have been trained in modern cooking techniques to ensure our food maximises freshness and retains a higher level of nutrition.
We measure our food charter by:
- Inviting feedback from our pupils at half termly meetings. We also seek new ideas and opinions throughout the term through online and face to face opinion polls.
- Commissioning three external audits each year. This ensures that food at every meal is produced to a healthy and nutritious standard.
- Consistently achieving food hygiene rating of 5 ‘very good’. – from East Riding Council.
We use the best local produce
We are currently working with our local community, as well as some Old Pocklingtonians, to supply the best local produce. We have the following supply partnerships:
- Fruit and vegetables from Browns the Greengrocer based in Pocklington
- Local reared meat from A. Lavarack & Son Butchers, based in Holme on Spalding Moor, with a shop in Pocklington
- Free-range eggs from Elliot’s Eggs based in Bewholme, Driffield.
At Pocklington School we look to produce the best catering possible for our pupils across the busy school day. We are always seeking new ideas and ways to improve the service.
Paul Freeman Hacker is our Head of Hospitality and Catering. He welcomes the chance to talk to our parents and pupils about the service provision and any special needs. Please contact us if you would like any more information.
...and pupils can join us for breakfast!
Pupils who have an early start in a morning can, have a few extra minutes in bed and get their breakfast at school! Breakfast is available in the Dining Hall from 8.10am for day pupils coming into school early and costs £2.00; booking is not necessary. Children can choose from a selection of cereals, porridge, toast and a traditional English cooked breakfast, except on Wednesdays, when a continental menu is offered in place of the cooked breakfast.
Scroll through the gallery below to view a selection of fresh, tasty dishes available on the menu.